Sunday, March 4, 2007

Metaphor: Tree of Utah

Now I realize that this is completely random, but I think it fits within the "Cool Things Utah." Seeing as how this "tree" is cool and called Tree of Utah and is only found in Utah, it seems appropriate.

I've always wanted to go and see this masterpiece of randomness but I never made it out to see it whilst I was living in Utah. Maybe someday I'll make a point t travel to see it.

A Little History: Swedish artist Karl Momen created the 87-foot high tree between 1982-1986. He financed the project himself to bring bold color and beauty to the stark, flat, salty landscape. The sculpture is made of 225 tons of cement, almost 2,000 ceramic tiles and five tons of welding rod, and tons of minerals and rocks native to Utah.

You can't miss it because it's right on the side of the road.
















Directions: I-80 West, Wendover, UT [Show Map] Directions: North side of I-80, 25 miles east of Wendover, NV; 95 miles west of Salt Lake City. Hours: Daylight, no stopping.

2 comments:

Yancy said...

funny thing is...you CAN miss it. but only when it's night or you're not the one driving. My roommate a couple years ago totally missed it as we were driving through cause he had fallen asleep.
I had no idea what it was. I was like...WTF???
It's actually really cool.

Jess said...

You are so cool. I typed in gogole cool things utah and this came up. I was so looking for somethings in Utah i had never seen before. Thanks you.